Submissions for our 2017-2018 Apprentice Company are NOW OPEN!
Please Submit the following information in a single email to Jennifer Acker, Director of Education at email@example.com with the subject line:AppCo Submission: [Your Name] 2017-2018
- A headshot for Acting Candidates or current photograph for SM/Tech Candidates (PDF or JPG).
- An up-to-date resume (PDF).
- A brief cover letter and personal statement (1-2 pages, double spaced, 12 point font – PDF)
- Two letters of reference. Either you or your reference can submit these letters.
- If you would like to submit these letters on behalf of your references, you may upload the letter(s) via PDF (on letterhead and signed by your reference) to your initial email submission.
- If your reference would rather submit personally, she/he may do so by emailing a PDF copy of the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Letter of reference: [Candidate’s Name]
- One essay selected from one of the following questions (500-1,000 words – PDF)
- The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it change you? What did you gain or lose?
- Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
- Discuss an event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, family, or art.
- Supplemental Qualification Materials: FOR ACTING CANDIDATES
- OPTION A: Submit an Audition Video or link to an audition video via Dropbox, GoogleDrive or Youtube no longer than 2 MINUTES. Your audition package should open with a slate including your name, and consist of at least two pieces of contrasting styles, including (but not limited to) one contemporary monologue and one song. Audition song(s) should utilize an accompanist or a track – no a capella submissions will be accepted. OR
- OPTION B: Audition in Person for us at the following regional auditions: Institute of Outdoor Theatre (IOT), United Professional Theatre Auditions (UPTA), Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC), or the c4 Atlanta Unified Auditions. If you will be auditioning in person, please include the following in your email submission: the audition you will be attending, your audition block or time, and your audition number.
- Supplemental Qualification Materials: FOR SM/TECH CANDIDATES
- Submit a Statement of Purpose (250-500 words – PDF). Your Statement of Purpose should detail who you are, what has influenced your career path so far, your professional interests and where you plan to go in your career and your personal life. Please also incorporate in your statement why you aspire to be a member of the Apprentice Company at Serenbe Playhouse and what your goals would be during your year with us.
If you do not receive confirmation of your Submission via email within two weeks of submitting, please contact email@example.com to confirm its arrival.
Submissions will be accepted from January 1, 2017 – March 15, 2017.
Please allow up to one month from submitting for staff to review your application. Once we have reviewed your Submission we will follow up with an email either inviting you to Interview or releasing you from consideration.
We look forward to your application and learning more about you and your work in the coming months! Happy Applying!
INSIDER TIPS FOR APPLYING
Cover Letter and Personal Statement:
This is space where we look to learn a little more about who you are. We encourage frankness and openness more so than “right or wrong” answers. We are looking for a sense of who you are so we can identify a core group of applicants we would like to invest in and work with for the coming year. What is your connection to art and how do you see art connecting to the world around you? What do you wish to accomplish in your life or career? What about an Apprenticeship at Serenbe Playhouse do you imagine will contribute to your vision for yourself and your life? These are all recommended starting points.
Letters of Reference:
We appreciate seeing a diversity of content between the two letters, to provide a fuller picture of the candidate. Something that helps achieve this is to request for one reference to speak more to the personal, and the other to speak more towards professional qualifications. Professional references are valuable from a director you have worked with, an acting coach, or other mentor in a theatrical capacity, either in a University or Professional setting.
When selecting audition material for consideration, it is wise to research the company’s history in show selection. Selecting material from similar styles of shows (while avoiding exact material from recent seasons) will help us see how you might fit into our aesthetic and our upcoming Season.